Individuals with CP often need to strengthen their muscles to participate in daily life. Few therapies help individuals strengthen their muscles on only one side. This grant seeks to develop a video game-based therapy that will help patients strengthen their muscles at home.
- Many individuals with CP have one arm that is significantly weaker than the other.
- There are few treatments for the unbalanced weakness that work for individuals with greater impairments.
- Surface electrical muscle stimulation (SEMS) uses the stronger side of the body to strengthen the weaker side.
- Will SEMS strengthen an individual’s weaker side?
- Will video game play assisted by SEMS strengthen an individual’s weaker side?
- Will these combined therapies be efficient home treatments?
- Dr. Michael J Fu PhD, Dr. Ryan Suder MS OTR/L BCP, Dr. Jayme Knutson PhD, Dr. Benjamin Katholi MD, Anna Curby MS OTR/L, Angelia Rice MS OTR/L, Ryan Suder MS OTR/L